The Spit is generally known for its more up-market venues (Palazzo Versace, anyone?), but families can enjoy the luxury lifestyle and views on a budget with a visit to the Southport Yacht Club. Family friendly dining with a kids gated playground? Let’s go!
The club’s Waterfront Restaurant serves up picture perfect views alongside a delicious buffet breakfast every Saturday and Sunday (7.30am – 10am), making it the perfect start to your weekend beach trip! Enjoy eggs benedict, pastries, pancakes, bacon, fruit platters, cereals and yoghurts while you look out at the sailing boats and luxury yachts. What I loved the most was the positioning of the restaurant means you don’t even get a glimmer of a glare off the water, and it was so relaxing to sit and watch the boats (and seagulls) pass by.
If breakfast isn’t your thing, the Waterfront Restaurant also serves lunch and dinner, 7 days a week! Gold Coasters are able to dine from the alacarte menu up to three times a year before requiring membership to the yacht club. Not up for a meal, but fancy an afternoon drink? Live Entertainment is available both Friday nights at the 4Shore Bar on the Quarter Deck and Sunday afternoons at Waterfront restauarnt.
The best part about dining at the Southport Yacht Club, is how kid friendly they are! There is a large sized gated playground only metres away from the dining area, kitted out with a boat so kids can pretend they’re sailing their own yacht across the Broadwater. Let them burn off some of that energy on the playground without worrying they’ll burn in the Queensland sun – there’s a huge shad sail over everything to help keep them cool. The restaurant also provides kids meals (also known as Cadets meals), and on Mondays and Tuesdays kids eat for just $5!
Need to know:
- Address: 1 Macarthur Parade, Main Beach, Queensland, 4217
- Buffet Breakfast (Sat & Sun) $25pp, kids 12 and under $15pp
- Kids eat for $5 (Mon & Tues)
- $15 dinners: Monday, pasta night; Tuesday, chicken parmigiana night; Wednesday, Roast night; Thursday, crumbed barramundi night
- Membership: Buffet breakfast is available to non-members all year round. Non-members can dine for lunch or dinner up to 3 times a year without becoming a member. Further lunch or dinner bookings will require guests to become a member.