Northern Gold Coast locals will mostly be across this kids oasis, but it’s surprising how many people I still chat to that don’t know about it! The Backyard, Coomera Westfield has been open for 1 year now, and it really is a game-changer in the way that shopping centres are catering to families. Rather than the usual plastic play equipment in the middle of the shopping centre, The Backyard takes inspiration from Australian backyards where kids can run and play freely and with a variety of equipment and natural structures.
Accessible from both inside the shopping centre or the carpark directly, The Backyard, Coomera Westfield sits alongside Cafe63 (which is open 6am-10pm, 7 days a week!), meaning parents can easily grab a takeaway coffee and hit the playground with their kids (yes, I’m encouraging “active supervision”!!). There are 2 play areas:
- A 1 – 4 years play zone: a ‘fallen log’ immersive sensory zone entertaining children with tactile, auditory and visual experiences. The fallen log includes cubby and hiding spaces, sound tubes, a playful tunnel experience and slippery slide. This play area is gated, although part of the fencing is a low bench seat and some kids may be able to escape, but it definitely slows the runners down.
- A 4 – 8 years play zone: a fun-filled obstacle course providing imaginative and adventure play. The space includes numerous balance and climbing experiences, trampolines, swings and a spiral slide.
The real highlight of The Backyard, particularly on hot Gold Coast summer days, is the water play area! Designed for kids of all ages, but definitely catering more towards under 7’s, this cool oasis really makes you forget that you’re in a shopping centre. Kids can splash in ankle to knee deep water, pump the water pumps, dodge squirting frogs, spin water wheels and explore the winding streams of water. Perfectly designed to protect the kiddies, it features big shade sails and grassy banks, and has deck chairs for the adults. Change rooms are right beside the water area, meaning you don’t even have to step foot inside the shopping centre if you didn’t want to!
The final piece that is making this spot a real favourite for families, particularly for birthday parties, is the inclusion of barbeque facilities and tables! Yep, bring those snags with you and cook up a sausage sizzle for the family while the little ones splash and play, or the bigger kids try out the scooter track through The Backyard. It can be pretty crazy on the weekend, so I’d recommend getting in early in the morning or later in the day!
Need to know:
- Address: 103 Foxwell Road, Coomera
- Opening hours: Accessible at all hours from carpark. Cafe alongside is open 6am – 10pm 7 days a week.
- Changing facilities available.
- Wheelchair and pram accessible.